Thursday, August 28, 2008


One of my favorite childhood memories revolves around my mother's cosmetics.

She began using Merle Norman brand in the 1940s and still uses it to this day...and she has a beautiful, glowing, wrinkle-free complexion...but I think that has more to do with genetics than Merle Norman, as my maternal grandmother's complexion was the same and she never used cosmetics of any type!

So...Merle Norman. There was the fire-engine red Super Lube with the texture of vaseline; cool, creamy Aqua Lube; pale pink cold cream with a feel of mineral oil, and the hot pink Miracol, which was a sort of mask. All of these products had soft, pleasant frangrances that I still to this day equite with a mother's loving touch.

When I was 16, my mother took me to the Merle Norman store to get my own cosmetics. I could hardly wait to try the hot pink Miracol...when it dried it got really tight on my face, and burned. Supposedly that meant it was cleansing out all the "gunk".

As it turns out, I was allergic to Merle Norman products even though the saleswoman assured me that they were "hypoallergenic". So I went another route, buying Clinique, Elizabeth Arden, Origins, Estee Lauder, and various drugstore brands over the years.

Now I am ready to go still in another direction, which involves some backtracking. As I read Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano (www.gorgeouslygreen.com), as well as other articles about "traditional" cosmetics, I realize that most of them contain lots and lots of handful ingredients that are absorbed into out skin.

These ingredients are too numerous to mention here; GG does a great job of laying it all out so I'll leave it to Sophie.

Reading her book definitely makes me motivated to change, and again, Sophie provides a wonderful list of natural cosmetics that are good for us and good for the environment.

I also want to get back to the more natural beauty treatments I used as a teenager and young adult, many of which I learned from my mother--that's where the backtracking comes in. And the simplicity, and cost-effectiveness.

One was cleansing one's face with a cold cucumber slice...mmmm...makes your skin feel so refreshed, summer or winter. Another was steaming my face with a towel and hot water, and still another was a mask made of oatmeal and banana that I used quite a bit while I was in college.

Here are some other tips from Natural Home magazine, including how to do the steam facial. I think I'll go try that now!

Nail Nourisher
Break out the olive oil, friends. This rich oil is loaded with moisturizing and skin soothing properties.

Fill a shot glass half full with olive oil. Dip a cotton ball or cotton swab into the olive oil and smooth it onto your cuticles and nailbeds (don't forget your toes!). This will soften your cuticles and prevent them from getting hangnail-ish or irritated.

Use a wash cloth and gently push back your cuticles, but do not cut them with a cuticle trimmer! Your cuticles are there to protect you from bacteria, and removing them heightens germs' chances of getting into your system.

If you have any olive oil remaining, keep it to use on the ends of your hair to soften and seal split ends (just make sure to rinse throroughly with cold water!).

Mini Facial
All you need is a mixing bowl, hot water and a couple drops of your favorite essential oil to get a fresh, steam cleaning for your face.

Fill a large mixing bowl with hot water. Quickly add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil (I like tea tree) to the water. Grab a towel big enough to drape over your head and the bowl. Put your face (if you have long hair, pull it back into a ponytail and use a headband) over the bowl, about 2 inches away to avoid scalding, and drape the towel over your head to trap the heat. Relax, and breathe in the calming or invigorating scents of the hot oils. The steam helps open up pores, and the essential oils are comforting for your senses. Stay under for about 5-10 minutes, then come up for fresh air. Blot your skin with the towel, and enjoy your freshly steamed, flushed face! Remember, reuse the water in your garden.

Natural Hair Rinse
If you have product buildup in your hair, strip it clean of its commercial toxins with our favorite cleaning product: vinegar!

We've all hailed the cleaning powers of vinegar time and time again, but did you know it works wonders on your hair, too? There's no special recipe for this hair detox, so simply mix one part vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar) with one or two parts warm water. At the end of your shower, pour the mix over your hair. Done! You should notice instant shine and bounciness.

1 comment:

Sandra Hill said...

Barbara: I love your blog!!! My mom always rinsed her hair and mine with vinegar back in the 50s and 60s. Let's do lunch one day. Sandra Hill, KW Green Hills