Monday, June 16, 2008

My Vegetable Patch




Well, folks...when I say I am taking baby steps to be more green, I really mean baby steps since my vegetable garden consists of 2 tomato plants. One is "Mr. Stripey", a low-acid heirloom, and the other is Arkansas Traveler, a pink tomato.




Back in the winter, Steve and I had big plans of finding someone who wanted to have an organic garden but did not have the yard space. We have the space, but not necessarily the time and energy to keep up with a garden.




We asked around at the Ashland City Farmer's Market but couldn't find anyone.




So here it is, my two tomato plants! Better than nothing, I say. And they seem to be thriving. I didn't have good luck with tomatoes a few years ago but now I realize I wasn't planting them deeply enough. My friend, Candace, plants hers in a five-gallon bucket so I decided to do the same and it's working.




I also have some herbs growing in clay pots...pineapple mint, thyme, cinnamon basil, regular basil, and tarragon. I also planted some millet in a clay pot, first because it's beautiful and also for the birds. I just learned the other day that you don't need to put Miracle-Gro or other plant food on herbs but I had already fed them twice by the time I learned that.




So far I have not cooked with the herbs, I just enjoy having them and inhaling their scent every time I walk out the kitchen door.




No comments: