Friday, May 9, 2008

My New Secret Weapon!

In 1994, I went to work at a chemical company that made paint thinners and strippers and many other products with toluene and other chemicals that aren't good for our respiratory systems.

Not only were we able to smell the chemicals in the company's office area, it was part of my job go into the plant and tank farm (where the chemicals were unloaded from tank trucks into tanks) to document procedures for ISO 9000 certification.

At the same time, I moved to rural Mississippi about 45 minutes south of Memphis. My home was surrounded by soybean and cotton fields, which were regularly sprayed with pesticides by the farmers.

I was getting a double dose of chemicals, and as a result my health began to deteriorate.

That's a big, long story for another time but one segment of it is that I had to discontinue using cleaning products like Mr. Clean and bleach.

I began cleaning the tub and toilet with borax and found it to be a great cleaning product.

The one thing I still clung to, though, was Windex. Although I had read that white vinegar and water worked just as well, I was skeptical.

Well, finally...yesterday I decided to give white vinegar a whirl in the bathroom and wow! It works BETTER than Windex!

The bathroom is sparkling clean and is disinfected, too! Yes, white vinegar is a natural disinfectant and made the bathroom look and feel fresh and safe. It seems like it took less time to clean, too, but that could be my imagination :)

So for all you who'd like to try it, here's a link to what white vinegar can do in your home. It has more uses than I've ever imagined. I definitely want to try it in the microwave, the process is much easier than scrubbing. Just put a bowl of vinegar and baking soda in the oven (amounts are in the article) turn it on, (time is in the article) and it will loosen caked on food! How easy...and green...is that!

http://http://www.vinegartips.com/cleaning/

No comments: